Community

AES Journal Forum

MPEG-I Immersive Audio — Reference Model For The Virtual/Augmented Reality Audio Standard

Document Thumbnail

MPEG-I Immersive Audio is a forthcoming standard that is under development within the MPEG Audio group (ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG6) to provide a compressed representation and rendering of audio for Virtual and Augmented Reality (VR/AR) applications with six degrees of freedom (6DoF). MPEG-I Immersive Audio supports bitrate-efficient and highquality storage/transmission of complex virtual scenes including sources with spatial extent and distinct radiation characteristics (like musical instruments) as well as geometry description of acoustically relevant elements (e.g., walls, doors, occluders). The rendering process includes detailed modeling of room acoustics and complex acoustic phenomena such as occlusion and diffraction due to acoustic obstacles and Doppler effects as well as interactivity with the user. Based on many contributions, this paper reports on the state of the MPEG-I Immersive Audio standardization process and its first technical Reference Model architecture. MPEG-I Immersive Audio establishes the first long-term stable audio format specification in the field of VR/AR and can be used for many consumer applications such as broadcasting, streaming, social VR/AR, or Metaverse technology.

Open Access

Open
Access

Authors:
Affiliations:
JAES Volume 71 Issue 5 pp. 229-240; May 2023
Publication Date:

Download Now (724 KB)

This paper is Open Access which means you can download it for free.

No AES members have commented on this paper yet.

Subscribe to this discussion

RSS Feed To be notified of new comments on this paper you can subscribe to this RSS feed. Forum users should login to see additional options.

Start a discussion!

If you would like to start a discussion about this paper and are an AES member then you can login here:
Username:
Password:

If you are not yet an AES member and have something important to say about this paper then we urge you to join the AES today and make your voice heard. You can join online today by clicking here.

AES - Audio Engineering Society