Community

AES Journal Forum

An Objective Scheme for Ranking Halls and Obtaining Criteria for Improvements and Design

(Subscribe to this discussion)

Document Thumbnail

Producing a formal means for ranking the quality of concert halls requires that the subjective assessment by experts and listeners be matched to acoustic parameters. Using previous results from Ando and Beranek, the authors propose a statistical scheme to obtain a function that fits the objective experimental data from 17 performance halls, which vary in uses, sizes, building types, and acoustics. Of the many possible acoustic parameters available, it appears that most of them can be reduced to LEV (listener envelopment), RTmid (mid frequency reverberation time), and LFCE4 (early lateral energy fraction). The obtained model based on these parameters, allows for designing and improving performance spaces.

Authors:
Affiliations:
JAES Volume 60 Issue 6 pp. 419-430; June 2012
Publication Date:

Click to purchase paper as a non-member or you can login as an AES member to see more options.

(Comment on this paper)

Comments on this paper

Alvin Reid
Alvin Reid

Comment posted July 18, 2012 @ 15:03:16 UTC (Comment permalink)

I was very impressesd with the intricate detail.  A fantastic sequel to Beraneks 2008 paper.  I'd like to see more refreshing papers along this line, such as a cross section of measurements from concert halls and arenas in the U.S.  I'm not sure this area has been explored.

Subscribe to this discussion

RSS Feed To be notified of new comments on this paper you can subscribe to this RSS feed. Forum users should login to see additional options.

Join this discussion!

If you would like to contribute to the discussion about this paper and are an AES member then you can login here:
Username:
Password:

If you are not yet an AES member and have something important to say about this paper then we urge you to join the AES today and make your voice heard. You can join online today by clicking here.

AES - Audio Engineering Society