Community

AES Convention Papers Forum

Non-classical, bounded Fechnerian integration for loudness: contrary to Luce and Edwards, initial loudness-difference-size stipulations are only recouped for linear loudness growth

Document Thumbnail

A major question in sensory science is how a sensation of magnitude F (such as loudness) depends upon a sensory stimulus of physical intensity I (such as a sound-pressure-wave of a particular root-mean-square sound-pressure-level). An empirical just-noticeable sensation difference (ΔF)j at Fj specifies a just-noticeable intensity difference (ΔI)j at Ij. Intensity differences accumulate from a stimulus-detection threshold Ith up to a desired intensity I. Likewise, the corresponding sensation differences are classically presumed to accumulate, accumulating up to F(I) from F(Ith), a non-zero sensation (as suggested by hearing studies) at Ιth. Consequently, sensation growth F(I) can be obtained through Fechnerian integration. Therein, empirically-based relations for the Weber Fraction, ΔI/I, are individually combined with either Fechner’s Law ΔF = Β or Ekman’s Law (ΔF/F) = ɡ; the number of cumulated steps in I is equated to the number of cumulated steps in F, and an infinite series ensues, whose higher-order terms are ignored. Likewise classically ignored are the integration bounds Ith and F(Ith). Here, we deny orthodoxy by including those bounds, allowing hypothetical sensation-growth equations for which the differential-relations ΔF(I) = F(I+ ΔI) - F(I) or (ΔF(I)/F(I)) = (F(II) - F(I))/F(I) do indeed return either Β or ɡ, for linear growth of sensation F with intensity I. Also, 24 sensation-growth equations F(I), which had already been derived by the author likewise using bounded Fechnerian integration (12 equations for the Weber Fraction (ΔI/I), each combined with either Fechner’s Law or with Ekman’s Law), are scrutinized for whether their differential-relations return either Β or ɡ respectively, particularly in the limits (ΔI/I) << 1 and the even-more-extreme limit (ΔI/I) → 0, both of which seem unexplored in the literature. Finally, some relevant claims made by Luce and Edwards (1958) are examined under bounded Fechnerian integration: namely, that three popular forms of the Weber Fraction, when combined with Fechner’s Law, produce sensation-growth equations that subsequently return the selfsame Fechner’s Law. Luce and Edwards (1958) prove to be wrong.

Author:
Affiliation:
AES Convention: Paper Number:
Publication Date:
Subject:

Click to purchase paper as a non-member or you can login as an AES member to see more options.

No AES members have commented on this paper yet.

Subscribe to this discussion

RSS Feed To be notified of new comments on this paper you can subscribe to this RSS feed. Forum users should login to see additional options.

Start a discussion!

If you would like to start a discussion about this paper and are an AES member then you can login here:
Username:
Password:

If you are not yet an AES member and have something important to say about this paper then we urge you to join the AES today and make your voice heard. You can join online today by clicking here.

AES - Audio Engineering Society