Community

AES Conference Papers Forum

Technical Overview of the CD-I Format

Document Thumbnail

CD-I (Compact Disc - Interactive) is a product-specific application of the CD-ROM (Compact Disc - Read Only Memory) format, which in turn is based on the CD-DA (Compact Disc - Digital Audio) standard. Rather than store specific data on a CD-ROM, or music on CD-DA, CD-I permits storage of a simultaneous combination of audio, video, graphics, text, and data, all functioning in an interactive manner. CD-I is thus a multi-media extension of CD-ROM. Because CD-I players will reproduce conventional CD-DA discs, CD-I is also an upscale CD-DA system. The CD-I format defines both hardware and software standards, and integration of functions. To provide flexibility in CD-I applications, different levels of audio fidelity, video resolution, and color coding are available, longer playing times are achieved by dividing the disc into channels, and executable object code provides for real time interactivity. Physical interleaving of data ensures synchronized presentation of different data types. CD-I also provides two data forms, for both maximum storage bandwidth, and extended error detection and correction.

Author:
Affiliation:
AES Conference:
Paper Number:
Publication Date:
Subject:

Click to purchase paper as a non-member or you can login as an AES member to see more options.

No AES members have commented on this paper yet.

Subscribe to this discussion

RSS Feed To be notified of new comments on this paper you can subscribe to this RSS feed. Forum users should login to see additional options.

Start a discussion!

If you would like to start a discussion about this paper and are an AES member then you can login here:
Username:
Password:

If you are not yet an AES member and have something important to say about this paper then we urge you to join the AES today and make your voice heard. You can join online today by clicking here.

AES - Audio Engineering Society