Community

AES Conference Papers Forum

My Search for the Ideal Stereo Loudspeaker

Document Thumbnail

Stereo loudspeakers are usually operated in a reverberant environment and meant to create a phantom aural scene, a believable illusion in the listener’s mind. But what exactly must the loudspeakers and the room do to optimally support such illusion and not distract from it? Loudspeakers always held a fascination for me and I designed, built and listened to many prototypes in a seemingly never-ending search for the ideal loudspeaker for my home stereo system. For thirty-seven years of my professional life I was involved with research and development of electronic test and measurement equipment covering the frequency range from 10 kHz to 22 GHz. In terms of wavelengths this is equivalent to acoustics from 0.01 Hz to 25 kHz. Loudspeakers have many analogies to electromagnetic antennas. I will talk about the progression in my understanding and design of loudspeakers. In the end it was primarily about the radiation pattern, though I did not recognize its overriding importance initially. The ideal stereo loudspeaker has a frequency independent polar response.

Author:
Affiliation:
AES Conference:
Paper Number:
Publication Date:
Subject:

Click to purchase paper as a non-member or you can login as an AES member to see more options.

No AES members have commented on this paper yet.

Subscribe to this discussion

RSS Feed To be notified of new comments on this paper you can subscribe to this RSS feed. Forum users should login to see additional options.

Start a discussion!

If you would like to start a discussion about this paper and are an AES member then you can login here:
Username:
Password:

If you are not yet an AES member and have something important to say about this paper then we urge you to join the AES today and make your voice heard. You can join online today by clicking here.

AES - Audio Engineering Society